[Support Programs and Services for Students]
UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
The University of Alabama Department of Public Safety (UADPS) provides full police and environmental health services for students and other members of the University community.
The UA Police Department
, a division of UADPS, is a comprehensive, accredited police department of sworn officers with full arrest powers. These state-certified police officers patrol the academic and residential areas of campus 24 hours a day in patrol cars, by bike, and on foot.
The Office of Environmental Health and Safety
focuses on fire and environmental safety on campus through frequent inspections of campus buildings and facilities; for more information on this office's services, call (205) 348-5905.
Other services offered by University Police include the following and can be utilized by calling (205) 348-5454, unless otherwise specified:
- Bama Escort Service a free car ride between locations on campus or between nearby residences and campus. Rides are available each night during the dark hours (typically from around 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.), just by calling (205) 348-RIDE.
- Operation Identification loans engravers to students so they can engrave their driver's license on valuable property to help prevent theft.
- Blue emergency phones conveniently located around campus provide direct lines to the UA Police Department, making dialing unnecessary and ensuring quick response times.
- The main desk of University Police, located in Gorgas Hall, handles most of the lost and found property on campus.
- Each year, University Police officers lead many educational programs on crime prevention at the invitation of campus groups and present additional public sessions.
For more information on University Police services, consult the Safer Living Guide,
available at the main desk of Gorgas Hall. This guide to safety on and off campus includes tips for safe walking, cycling, and driving; and safety measures you can take in UA residence halls or off-campus apartments. Visit our Web site at police.ua.edu
. The UA Annual Campus Security Report
containing crime statistics as well as crime prevention policies and procedures is available online at our Web site safety.ua.edu.
For information about parking services, which is not
a part of UADPS, see "Transportation Services."