Next      Previous      Contents      Search      UA


    General Undergraduate Admission Requirements
    Credit For Examination Performance and Experience
    High-School Services
    Academic Common Market of The Southern Regional Education Board

The admission process is accomplished by completing the appropriate application for admission and furnishing the required credentials. You may apply on line at For questions, please contact Undergraduate Admissions.


The University of Alabama
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Box 870132
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0132
(205) 348-5666 or 1-800-933-BAMA
TDD (205) 348-2921


Admission to any undergraduate division of the University requires acceptable evidence of previous academic performance and scores on a recognized admission test. A medical history, including proof of current measles (MMR) and meningitis vaccinations and TB screening, must be submitted prior to enrollment for classes. The medical history form can also be downloaded from Also, any student whose first language is not English will be required to provide proof of language proficiency.

Applications for admission are accepted as early as one year prior to the anticipated date of enrollment. After an evaluation of the applicant’s credentials, admission is granted into various categories, depending on the strength of the applicant’s academic background. Once admitted, a student may enroll in courses in any term, including the Interim session and summer school, once a final transcript is received. For this reason, prospective students should ensure that their application credentials are submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as early as possible.

Applicants for freshman admission must submit official copies of their high-school transcripts and either ACT or SAT scores. Transfer applicants must submit official transcripts of all college-level work attempted. Currently, there is a $35.00 print application fee and a $30.00 online application fee for freshman and transfer students. Both fees are nonrefundable. If admission is denied, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions may suggest alternative ways to meet admission criteria at a later time. More specific requirements for freshman, undergraduate transfer, transient, special, or international student admission appear in the sections that follow. Some University of Alabama academic divisions may have different policies or requirements regarding admission—see the appropriate division’s section of this catalog for details.

Freshman Admission

Freshman orientation and registration. An orientation/registration program (Bama Bound) is provided for all new freshman students to assist them with the transition to college. Information about orientation and registration is mailed to each student after admission is granted. Each orientation session includes placement examinations, counseling, academic planning, career advising, and course selection and registration. Several orientation sessions are provided each year. To learn more, visit the Web site

Preparation for college-level work. The University of Alabama Core Curriculum, required of all graduates, provides the foundation of every undergraduate degree program at the University. In addition to providing a solid understanding of the subjects covered, the core curriculum acquaints students with the ways knowledge is created.

The core curriculum includes academic courses in writing, the humanities, the fine arts, the social sciences, the natural sciences (including laboratory experience), and mathematics; it also requires knowledge of a language other than English or an understanding of computer language and application. To prepare for the core curriculum, applicants are encouraged to take maximum advantage of their high-school experiences by accumulating as many academic units as is practical.

Minimum requirements for admission. In terms of educational preparation, 1) the college preparatory curriculum minimum unit requirements for regular admissions are

English4 units
Mathematics3 units, beginning with algebra I, algebra II,
and one unit of either geometry,
trigonometry, or calculus
Social studies 4 units, including world history
or a comparable course
Natural science 3 units, including 2 units with a laboratory
Foreign language 1 unit
Other academic courses    5 units—students are encouraged to
complete the following:
  • at least two years of a foreign language
  • one year of computer literacy
  • one year of fine arts
  • at least four years of mathematics and sciences

The Advanced Academic Diploma awarded by Alabama high schools meets all University of Alabama course requirements.

2) These course requirements are in addition to the requirements of a “B” average and an acceptable score on the ACT or SAT.

The course/unit requirement also applies to transfer students who have completed fewer than 24 semester hours or 36 quarter hours of college-level courses.

Home-Schooled Students

The University of Alabama welcomes applications from students who are schooled in the home. Home schooled applicants should meet the following requirements for admission:

  1. Home-schooled applicants should meet the ACT/SAT and grade point average (GPA) requirements of general admission if they present certified transcripts at the completion of their programs. Refer to the “General Undergraduate Admission Requirements” section.
  2. Students who do not present certified transcripts must take the GED and meet the admission requirements as outlined in the University of Alabama GED Admission Policy. See “Non-graduates of high school” under “Special Programs” below.

Special Programs

Capstone Summer Honors Program. Designed to provide an enriched learning experience between the junior and senior years of high school, this residential campus-based program allows participants to earn college credit while benefiting from cultural, social, and recreational opportunities. Admission is based on the high-school record and scores on either the ACT, SAT, or PSAT. Application should be made as early as possible in the spring term of the junior year. The program is conducted through the Honors College during the first session of summer school.

Early admission. Students who have exceptionally high grades (3.5 or higher grade point average) and at least a 28 ACT or a 1270 SAT (math and verbal scores only) and who have strong endorsements from their high school and parents or legal guardians may be considered for admission without completing the senior year of high school.

Concurrent enrollment. Students who meet the necessary requirements may attend The University of Alabama while still in high school. Students in area high schools may enroll as concurrent high-school students/University freshmen. Typical students admitted to this program have a “B+” grade point average, at least a 26 ACT or 1170 SAT (math and verbal scores only) and the recommendation of their high-school principal and parents or legal guardians. Students take coursework in areas for which they have adequate preparation and the approval of their principal and/or counselor.

Dual Enrollment/Dual Credit Agreement. The University of Alabama participates in dual enrollment/dual credit programs with local boards of secondary education. Through these programs, certain high-school students are allowed to enroll in college-level courses in order to earn credits that apply to both undergraduate degrees and high-school diplomas. Students are eligible under the following conditions:

  1. The student must be in grade 11 or 12 or have an exception granted by UA based on the written recommendation of the student’s principal and the local superintendent of education and in accordance with Alabama administrative code regarding gifted and talented students.
  2. The student must have a “B+” average, as defined by local board policy, in completed high-school courses.
  3. The student must meet the entrance requirements established by UA.

Non-graduates of high school. Admission may be granted to non-graduates of high school who are 18 years of age and have been out of high school for a minimum of one year. Applicants must score at least 510 on the General Educational Development (GED) Test and submit acceptable ACT or SAT scores. Applicants 23 years of age and older are required to score at least 510 on the GED test. In addition, they may be required to submit ACT or SAT scores for advising purposes.

Undergraduate Transfer Admission

Applicants who have attended other colleges or universities are considered transfer students, regardless of the period of enrollment or amount of credit earned. Students seeking to transfer to The University of Alabama must meet the following requirements:

Transferring from two-year colleges in Alabama. Students transferring from two-year colleges in the Alabama College System may contract with The University of Alabama under STARS (Statewide Articulation Reporting System). The STARS program will guarantee the transfer and applicability of the two-year college credit under the following restrictions:

This agreement is subject to termination should changes in UA requirements be initiated by any agency outside University control. Such agencies include, but are not limited to, the State Department of Education, ACHE, SACS, NCATE, CLN, AACSB, ABET, and other accreditation agencies.

Conversion of credits. The University of Alabama is on the semester system. Credits earned as quarter hours, therefore, will be evaluated as semester hours. One quarter hour is equal to two-thirds of one semester hour—for example, a five-quarter-hours course equals three and one-third semester hours. However, when a student is seeking to transfer credit that will be applied to degree requirements, final authority for evaluating that credit rests with the academic division, which may use a different formula.

Transfer student orientation and registration. Attendance at an orientation/registration session (Bama Bound) is required of each newly admitted transfer student. Considerable assistance is available at each session, and the groups are kept small to encourage individual attention. To learn more, visit the Web site

Transfers within the University

Procedures governing transfers between academic divisions of the University are administered by the Office of Academic Records and University Registrar. For further information, please refer to the section “Student Records and General Academic Policies.”

Admission of Special Category Students

Adult. Applicants who graduated from high school at least four years prior to the date of anticipated enrollment may be admitted to the University without the ACT or SAT, provided their high-school grade point average is 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale. However, for placement purposes, the ACT or SAT may be required of all students who are enrolled.

Auditor. Applicants who wish to attend credit courses as auditors must follow standard admission procedures. They must be registered for the courses, must pay all required fees, are expected to attend all class meetings, and must conform to all requirements of the instructor of the course. In certain cases, admission as an auditor may be granted without satisfaction of normal admission requirements; however, the University reserves the right to establish appropriate standards for such enrollment. Auditors may not receive credit applicable to the requirements for degrees.

Dean’s admission. The deans of the University may, upon appeal, waive or modify conditions of admission for individual freshman and transfer applicants.

Irregular postgraduate. Applicants with baccalaureate or advanced degrees may be admitted on the basis of the appropriate degree. Standard admission procedures are followed.

Crimson EDGE (Education Guarantees Excellence). This two-semester program helps students manage the transition to a university academic environment. Students in this category are not on probation but are limited to 12-14 credit hours during their first semester and must enroll in an academic support class. A Crimson Edge advisor in each college will help students determine appropriate course selection for the fall and spring semesters.

Special student. Special student enrollment is a nondegree status. Special students may apply for admission as degree-seeking students by requesting a change of status and by meeting regular admission requirements. Students who have never enrolled in college are generally expected to have been out of high school for two or more years before enrollment at the University as special students. Students who are currently on academic probation or under academic suspension imposed by another college and who have not been enrolled in school for two years may be admitted with special permission. Enrollment in specific courses will be on a space-available basis. If a course has prerequisites, permission must be granted by the instructor before enrollment in the course. To continue as a special student beyond one academic year of continuous enrollment, after a break in enrollment, or beyond 12 semester hours of earned credit, permission must be granted by the dean of the school or college in which the special student is enrolled.

Transient student. Admission as a transient (visiting) student may be granted for any term. Standard application procedures must be followed. Approval may be given on the basis of an official statement of good standing from the last institution attended. Transient status may be granted for only one term.

Admission of International Students

Undergraduate applicants who are not American citizens should address all inquiries to The University of Alabama, International Admissions Officer, Box 870132, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0132; Applicants who need to learn English or improve their English proficiency should write for information to The University of Alabama, English Language Institute (ELI), Box 870250, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0250. Correspondence concerning undergraduate admission should be initiated at least six months in advance of the anticipated date of enrollment. Transfer students already in the United States should apply no later than four months prior to the date of enrollment.

Complete, properly translated official credentials are required. Any applicant with post secondary study completed outside the United States is encouraged to submit those credentials for a course by course evaluation to World Education Services, Bowling Green Station, P.O. Box 5087, New York, NY 10274-5087 or contact on the Web at This evaluation along with a course syllabus may expedite the decision to grant transfer credit. Evaluations received from credential evaluation agencies other than WES are subject to approval by the academic division reviewing transfer credit. Evidence that the full cost of attending the University can be met by the student is also required.

The University of Alabama requires a minimum on the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or satisfactory completion of the English Language Institute (ELI) before a student may begin an academic program. The minimum score requirements on the TOEFL are 500 on the paper-based test, 173 on the computer-based test, and 61 on the Internet-based test. A score of 6.0 on the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is also acceptable to meet the language proficiency requirement for admission if the academic reading and writing modules are selected. Conditional admission may be offered to students who meet the academic and financial qualifications, but do not meet the TOEFL or IELTS score requirement. These students will be required to register full-time in the ELI until he or she meets the TOEFL or IELTS requirement or satisfactorily completes the ELI program.

English placement for non-native speakers of English. In order to place non-native speakers of English in appropriate writing courses, each such student who does not have credit for EN 101 from a regionally accredited U.S. institution will be given a University of Alabama language proficiency exam (EPPE). Results from the EPPE determine whether a student must enroll in either an English Language Institute (ELI) course, or in the Department of English course that suits their demonstrated abilities.

The English courses prescribed (ELI, EN 120, EN 121, or a combination of these) must be completed in sequence, beginning with the first semester of the student’s enrollment at The University of Alabama, and the student must be continuously enrolled in these undergraduate courses until they are successfully completed. This policy applies to all non-native speakers entering The University of Alabama for the first time who do not have credit for EN 101 from a regionally accredited U.S. institution.

Students who have credit for EN 101 from a regionally accredited U.S. institution but do not also have credit for EN 102 are encouraged to register for EN 121 (rather than EN 102) at The University of Alabama.

Academic Second Opportunity

A student who has been separated from The University of Alabama for at least three academic years may apply for readmission for an “academic second opportunity.” As such, the student will be readmitted regardless of previous scholastic performance, unless separation from the University resulted from academic misconduct. In cases of academic misconduct, readmission will be reviewed by the academic dean (or his or her designee) for the school or college in which readmission is sought.

If the application for academic second opportunity is accepted, all previous academic work remains on the student’s permanent record, but the grades for previous work are not used in computing the grade point average. Grades of “C” or higher earned during previous college attendance are computed as “passing hours” (“P”) and may be applied to major program, distribution, and graduation requirements. Grades of “D” earned during previous college attendance may not be applied to major program, distribution, or graduation requirements.

A student who has a degree from another institution but was previously a student at UA or who has a degree from UA is not eligible for consideration. The deadline dates to apply and have all credentials submitted are August 1 for fall term, December 1 for spring term, and May 1 for any summer term. Academic Second Opportunity may be awarded only once and may not be awarded retroactively.

Readmission of Former Students

A former University of Alabama undergraduate student who has a break in enrollment, excluding summer, who wishes to return to the University must apply for readmission by contacting The University of Alabama, Office of Undergraduate Admissions, Box 870132, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0132. An application for readmission must be completed and submitted along with the application processing fee to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Students who withdraw, co-op, or participate in the National Student Exchange program and who return in the immediate following semester are not required to apply for readmission. Students participating in an approved internship or in a Consortium Agreement through Student Financial Aid will not be charged the readmission fee due to a break in enrollment.

It is essential to the readmission process to include information about dates of prior attendance as well as the name and student number under which the student was registered at the University. A student who attended another institution following his or her last enrollment at The University of Alabama must send an official transcript of work attempted at that other institution. The work attempted may be accepted at the University in accordance with the appropriate sections of this catalog. Students who were on scholastic probation at the end of their last enrollment at the University will be readmitted on scholastic probation. If the readmission application for a student who was academically suspended from the University is approved, that student will be readmitted on scholastic probation. International students who seek readmission must meet the above requirements and the requirements of the U.S. immigration law.

About the University Next      Previous      Contents      Search      UA